|Scope & Content||Rosters, reports, financial records, minutes, manuals, forms, schedules, correspondence, syllabi, class notes, and reference files for The Salvation Army School for Officers' Training in Atlanta, Georgia from 1975-1990. The records document the resident cadet sessions, school curriculum, field training practices, administrative functions and procedures, campus policies, and territorial and national policies affecting the school during this time period.|
|Dates of Creation||1975-1990|
|Creator||Evangeline Booth College|
|Title||Evangeline Booth College Records, 1975-1990|
The Evangeline Booth College, located in Atlanta, Georgia, was founded in 1927 as the educational and training unit of The Salvation Army USA Southern Territory, a Georgia non-profit corporation with headquarters in Atlanta, comprising The Salvation Army's operations in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, most of Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, most of Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
The Evangeline Booth College has a single administrative department covering the entire college and four academic schools. The administrative department units include: Finance, Maintenance, Information Technology, Home, Transportation, Enduring Gifts, and the Historical Center. The School for Officer Training functions as The Salvation Army's ministerial training center, educating those called to lifetime Salvation Army ministry in a two year program of classroom and practical ministry instruction. Its main divisions are Personnel and Curriculum. At the end of the two year program the cadets are conferred diplomas and/or degrees, ordained as ministers, and commissioned as Salvation Army officers. The School for Continuing Education functions as a main source of seminars, workshops, and conferences for the lifelong learning of Salvation Army officers, laypeople, and employees. Prior to 1997, it was the Education Department of the territorial headquarters. Founded in 2004, the School for Urban and Global Missions trains laypersons called to short-term ministry in urban or international settings. Beginning in 2005, the School for Leadership Development directs training seminars for current and future Salvation Army leaders. The chief executive of the Evangeline Booth College is the President / Principal who reports to the Chief Secretary at territorial headquarters.
From 1994 to 2005, Evangeline Booth College was known as the College for Officer Training, and its chief executive was the Training Principal. The functions of the now separate schools were consolidated as departments under the officer training program. From 1960 to 1994, the college was known as the School for Officers' Training. Prior to 1960 it was called the Southern Training College. For a brief period, 1939-1946, it was also referred to as Evangeline Booth Training College in some sources.
Copyright held by The Salvation Army.
Publication and reproduction within 25 years of creation by outside researchers requires permission of copyright holder.
|Language of Material||English|
|Related units of description||Other accessions to RG17-4, Evangeline Booth College Records|
Evangeline Booth College
The Salvation Army
|Level of description||Fonds/Coll|
|Year Range from||1975|
|Year Range to||1990|